Skip to main content

Status Report

Hello friends!

This post is kind of an update on where I am, but I will manage to wedge some encouragement and inspiration in, never fear.

Last week my blog topped 1000 views total!  This really is inaccurate because many of these views are from bots spamming my blogsite to see if it gets enough traffic to take down or to latch on to my readers, so be sure you are clearing your cookies and using security software.  But I will take my milestone any way I come by it :)

Yesterday was my birthday, and I celebrated turning a quarter of a century by doing as little as possible.  One of the presents I received from my husband is an online writing course from Gotham Writers' Workshop.  I would gush about how awesome they are, but you have the internet and I gave you the link, I believe in your ability to connect the dots.  Needless to say, I am ecstatic!

A couple weeks ago, my partner at work asked me what I thought made a good author.  He was thinking it would be something like being well traveled, understanding people, stuff like that.  Basically, he was thinking that how an author came up with ideas determined how "good" the author was.  I paraphrased for him this story, told here by the man himself, Jim Butcher, in 2008.
There, ladies and gentlemen, is not only an argument, but proof, that if you have the skills, the chops, the know-how, it doesn't matter what kind of mojo you do or don't have going on, you can write a great story.

This is why I'm so excited to be starting a creative writing class.  I have more ideas every day.  But if I can't effectively communicate them, they will never be anything more than potential stories, locked away in my brain.

So, now that it is past my birthday, and my month and a half hiatus from writing is over, I'm getting back to my Neif, I'm editing my Nombies, and I'm doing more critiquing today.  I hope you are getting some good writing done, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Ways Wonder Woman Was Actually An Anime

Clickbait title?  Riding the coattails of a hugely successful franchise? Yeah. So, Wonder Woman has been insanely successful.  It had some cool stuff going on but was not my favorite movie.  I had several problems with it, mostly happening after Diana leaves Themyscira.  But I'm going to put most of them aside to talk about why Wonder Woman was actually an anime, despite being live action, full of white people, and made by 'Merica. Anime style poster used to promote the Wonder Woman movie in Chinese Flickering Myth YEAH. I'm working on the assumption that you've seen anime before in a quantity sufficient to familiarize yourself with its tropes, so I'm not going to go into detail about why these are tropes and how long they've been around.  Also going to assume you've seen Wonder Woman and not going to worry about whether I'm spoiling anything for you. Blessed From Birth From birth Diana is special.  She's the only child on her island

Non-Traditional Plot Structure

Happy Friday friends!  This post is about plot:  what we traditionally think of as plot, and what other options exist in the world. For starters, let's define the difference between plot and narrative structure.  Plot is (loosely) the events that happen in the story.  Narrative structure is the order readers experience the story events.  Ingrid Sundberg does a good job of differentiating the two here .  (May as well open that up in a new tab and leave it open, I'm going to be referencing her blog a lot today.   She's pretty much already done what I wanted to do with this post. ) If your public education was like mine, you were probably introduced to a figure similar to this somewhere in your English classes: Fritz Freiheit This is the standard plot that we can fit most stories into.  This describes a plot centered around conflict that follows a traditional three-act structure.  It's very popular.   In the Middle reviews a book that discusses using this structu

February Post

Give me a break, I hate coming up with titles. And the FCC spoke and said, 'Verily, I say unto thee, Verizon and their ilk shall not throttle the bandwidth of those they despise, nor shall they profit from the favoring of entities with greater bandwidth therein.' And there was great rejoicing.  And by great rejoicing, I mean that the internet blew up arguing about what color a dress was.  You go, America, exercise that freedom. Girls and boys, it's the last Friday in February and I haven't posted anything this month, so here goes. I'm so glad I didn't try to keep posting weekly, because school owns my life nowadays.  I approve of the once-a-month plan so far.  We'll see if I can do more posts during my summer break (i.e. the month of May). As you might have guessed, I have not done any editing on Om Nom Nombies.   I haven't written anything more on the first drafts of The Neif  or Spitfire.   I haven't even made any progress beta-ing a manusc