Skip to main content

Editing: Week 1.5

Happy New Year, friends!  2015 is here and I'm still behind on my editing, but I press forward.

I'm currently in the reread process of week one from The 90-day Rewrite.  I say "I'm in the process" like it's specifically directed, but week one focuses on the outline, which, for Om Nom Nombies, at least, took roughly two hours to complete.  Rereading is only referred to in one sentence, basically an "if you want to" kind of deal.  Then week two goes right into rewriting.  I've adapted the questions in week one to my reread and am highlighting my errors as I go, color coded as shorthand notes to myself.  This makes the rereading go much faster, as I only have to take the time to write one or two comments per page.  With a 335 page story, it adds up.



Yes, that says "sin."  POV seemed straight forward to me, but I never realized how much I slipped up until I took the Gotham SFF class last year.  And in this manuscript I have sinned greatly.

Another note from the Gotham class on this manuscript.  The topic for one week was beginnings and endings, and for the exercise we were to submit three different beginnings to a story set at three different times in said story.  I use Nombies and wrote a new beginning before my set beginning, used my original beginning, and then used the start of the second chapter.  My instructor liked the last the best.  In an effort to be nice he said, about my actual beginning, "This reads as though the author is trying too hard."  Bless him, this wasn't public criticism, it was only between him and myself!  On the reread, though, I have to agree, in the first chapter I am trying way way too hard.

The last day of week one instructs me to reflect on whether I want to continue with this project and commit to editing for 83 more days, or not.  It is tempting, but I think it raises some important points.  I am about to be very busy with school, but unless someone locks me in a cabin with a computer for good, I will always be busy, so that argument is invalid.

It also makes me think about my goals for this story as a whole.  Nombies is my second novel ever to complete, and the first novel ever to attempt to edit.  Nombies is also different from the other projects I have started and I am planning.  If I make it my first release, any fans that like it will be unlikely to be fans of the rest of my stuff.  Not that great for my brand-to-be.  I could release it under another name.  I could wait and release it after some of my other work, if I feel like there would be an interest.  I haven't decided yet and I don't have to decide for a long time.  One thing I know that I want to do with this story is edit it.  If the only thing I do is edit it, I will be happy, because I will have made this story better, learning how to edit in the process.  I can take that knowledge and use it for the rest of my writing life.

Next week, assuming I finish the reread, I'll actually start the rewriting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Ways Wonder Woman Was Actually An Anime

Clickbait title?  Riding the coattails of a hugely successful franchise? Yeah. So, Wonder Woman has been insanely successful.  It had some cool stuff going on but was not my favorite movie.  I had several problems with it, mostly happening after Diana leaves Themyscira.  But I'm going to put most of them aside to talk about why Wonder Woman was actually an anime, despite being live action, full of white people, and made by 'Merica. Anime style poster used to promote the Wonder Woman movie in Chinese Flickering Myth YEAH. I'm working on the assumption that you've seen anime before in a quantity sufficient to familiarize yourself with its tropes, so I'm not going to go into detail about why these are tropes and how long they've been around.  Also going to assume you've seen Wonder Woman and not going to worry about whether I'm spoiling anything for you. Blessed From Birth From birth Diana is special.  She's the only child on her island

Non-Traditional Plot Structure

Happy Friday friends!  This post is about plot:  what we traditionally think of as plot, and what other options exist in the world. For starters, let's define the difference between plot and narrative structure.  Plot is (loosely) the events that happen in the story.  Narrative structure is the order readers experience the story events.  Ingrid Sundberg does a good job of differentiating the two here .  (May as well open that up in a new tab and leave it open, I'm going to be referencing her blog a lot today.   She's pretty much already done what I wanted to do with this post. ) If your public education was like mine, you were probably introduced to a figure similar to this somewhere in your English classes: Fritz Freiheit This is the standard plot that we can fit most stories into.  This describes a plot centered around conflict that follows a traditional three-act structure.  It's very popular.   In the Middle reviews a book that discusses using this structu

February Post

Give me a break, I hate coming up with titles. And the FCC spoke and said, 'Verily, I say unto thee, Verizon and their ilk shall not throttle the bandwidth of those they despise, nor shall they profit from the favoring of entities with greater bandwidth therein.' And there was great rejoicing.  And by great rejoicing, I mean that the internet blew up arguing about what color a dress was.  You go, America, exercise that freedom. Girls and boys, it's the last Friday in February and I haven't posted anything this month, so here goes. I'm so glad I didn't try to keep posting weekly, because school owns my life nowadays.  I approve of the once-a-month plan so far.  We'll see if I can do more posts during my summer break (i.e. the month of May). As you might have guessed, I have not done any editing on Om Nom Nombies.   I haven't written anything more on the first drafts of The Neif  or Spitfire.   I haven't even made any progress beta-ing a manusc