Skip to main content

On Foot

Hello Friends!  Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Today is the twenty-ninth day of NaNoWriMo.  My current wordcount is 44,956. (Yes, I know, behind.)

FadingFairytales
This year, in my region, we are having a bit of a strange year.  Most of us are behind.  In fact, almost all of us are.  We've been behind since the first or second week of the month, and just haven't been able to catch up.  This is weird for us, because usually we have several people that get way past 50k by the second week.  And we have several people that are the slow-but-steady type (I usually fall into that category).  Inevitably, we have some WriMos that don't make it to 50k words, but this year, we might have several more.

I have words of encouragement for those who are behind. Today is the second-to-last day to get words in, and I have seen people drop well over 10,000 words into their novel in two days to finish at 50k.  But my words of encouragement are not just for those that have a chance at hitting the mark.  This is for those that know there is no way, and are wanting to throw in the towel.  Maybe they already have.

Please don't.

A few weeks ago, my car ran out of gas.  I was irresponsible and let it give me the low fuel light all the way home from work (30 minute drive), then for the rest of the day and a half as I ran errands.  I knew it was low.  I heard the ding.  I saw the light.  I intended to refuel my tank, but there was always something that seemed more pressing at the moment.  So, at 5:45pm on a Friday, three blocks from my house, my accelerator stopped responding and I pulled into a parking lot just in time to hear my engine make lots of clicking noises and shut off.

Maybe you feel like that is what happened with your writing this month.  You knew you were pushing it when you signed up.  Or maybe you thought there would be nothing in your way, but work and school and life and even your story have conspired against you.  Now that December is so close, your engine has stopped.  You are out of gas.  And you would really rather bail at this point.

When my car ran out of gas, it meant that I had to do a bit of rearranging.  It meant I couldn't go to the gym that night.  It meant I had to make an embarrassing phone call to my husband.  Most importantly, to get to my destination, I had to get out and walk.

This may sound preachy, but I feel very strongly that it is true.  While to "win" NaNoWriMo, you are supposed to write 50,000 words in 30 days, winning is not the best part.  And 50k doesn't have to be your goal.  Every year I have participated in NaNo, I have felt the same feeling.  For me, the best part of NaNoWriMo is not making 50k.  The best part of NaNo is the fact that I am working on my novel every day.  It is that there is a tremendous support group of other writers working on their novels every day.  The creativity and the camaraderie beat out attaining a wordcount for the most satisfying experience every single time.

If you find yourself in this category, where your novel is so far from 50k that you don't even want to talk about it, consider rearranging your goals.  Sure, you only have two days left, but you can make those days count.  Get out of your car, and use those feet.  Maybe instead of working towards a wordcount you know you won't hit, you can take pride in the fact that you have worked on your novel every day, or even every week.  Instead of blundering through the boring beginning or middle of your story, spend the last two days of NaNo writing that exciting fight scene or the really tender love scene or the heated argument that you've been looking forward to.  It's okay to write out of order!  (I'm doing that for the first time this year.)  Instead of ducking the question anytime a writing buddy asks you about your wordcount, take pride in the fact that you have a wordcount.  That's right!  YOU started working on a novel.  And even if you feel like you are light-years away from "The End," you are infinitely closer than the person who never sat down to start.

So ditch that car.  Pound out the last bit of the pavement on your own two feet.  Your writing buddies are here with you; some at the finish already, some running along side you, some getting out of their cars behind you.  Everyone is screaming and cheering, because the end is not a wordcount.  The end is 12:00am Dec 1, and the goal is whatever you say it is.  Let's hear your best war whoop!  Show these last two days who is boss!  December is coming, and I hear the pounding of keyboards and feet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Ways Wonder Woman Was Actually An Anime

Clickbait title?  Riding the coattails of a hugely successful franchise? Yeah. So, Wonder Woman has been insanely successful.  It had some cool stuff going on but was not my favorite movie.  I had several problems with it, mostly happening after Diana leaves Themyscira.  But I'm going to put most of them aside to talk about why Wonder Woman was actually an anime, despite being live action, full of white people, and made by 'Merica. Anime style poster used to promote the Wonder Woman movie in Chinese Flickering Myth YEAH. I'm working on the assumption that you've seen anime before in a quantity sufficient to familiarize yourself with its tropes, so I'm not going to go into detail about why these are tropes and how long they've been around.  Also going to assume you've seen Wonder Woman and not going to worry about whether I'm spoiling anything for you. Blessed From Birth From birth Diana is special.  She's the only child on her island

Non-Traditional Plot Structure

Happy Friday friends!  This post is about plot:  what we traditionally think of as plot, and what other options exist in the world. For starters, let's define the difference between plot and narrative structure.  Plot is (loosely) the events that happen in the story.  Narrative structure is the order readers experience the story events.  Ingrid Sundberg does a good job of differentiating the two here .  (May as well open that up in a new tab and leave it open, I'm going to be referencing her blog a lot today.   She's pretty much already done what I wanted to do with this post. ) If your public education was like mine, you were probably introduced to a figure similar to this somewhere in your English classes: Fritz Freiheit This is the standard plot that we can fit most stories into.  This describes a plot centered around conflict that follows a traditional three-act structure.  It's very popular.   In the Middle reviews a book that discusses using this structu

February Post

Give me a break, I hate coming up with titles. And the FCC spoke and said, 'Verily, I say unto thee, Verizon and their ilk shall not throttle the bandwidth of those they despise, nor shall they profit from the favoring of entities with greater bandwidth therein.' And there was great rejoicing.  And by great rejoicing, I mean that the internet blew up arguing about what color a dress was.  You go, America, exercise that freedom. Girls and boys, it's the last Friday in February and I haven't posted anything this month, so here goes. I'm so glad I didn't try to keep posting weekly, because school owns my life nowadays.  I approve of the once-a-month plan so far.  We'll see if I can do more posts during my summer break (i.e. the month of May). As you might have guessed, I have not done any editing on Om Nom Nombies.   I haven't written anything more on the first drafts of The Neif  or Spitfire.   I haven't even made any progress beta-ing a manusc