Skip to main content

Research: Flora and Fauna

Hello friends!

Today is the 15th day of NaNoWriMo (halfway!), current wordcount is 22,323.  Yes, I'm a bit behind.

I'm doing another research post today to let you in on some of the cool ways I've been thinking about my world.  My Neif are placed (rather poorly) in a swamp somewhere in the southeastern portion of the US.
While this creates obvious water/temperature problems for them, as people made out of sugar, it also means they come into contact with an amazing array of plant and animal life.  (If the sugar thing is throwing you, you can check out my earlier research post about some of the science behind the magic of the Neif here.)

I found a really great site, http://www.wild-lab.com/, which was developed by the Audubon Nature Institute and is used as an educational tool for fifth through seventh graders about Louisiana wetlands.  If you click "Go Through Curriculum As Guest" you can still access all the information without having a login.  Very educational, and there are mini-games at the end of each level. Nice.

If you just search "wetlands" on your favorite search engine, you will get lots of information about how wetlands are a vital part of flood prevention and filter runoff so that fertilizer and other chemicals don't get shunted directly to rivers and, by extension, oceans, causing algal blooms.  While this is fascinating, it doesn't have a lot of impact on my plot.
NASA EOSDIS
One key plot element is a bird.  One of my MC's comes into contact with a bird, and the bird ends up being a big help later on in the story.  *SPOILER ALERT* I need the bird to be able to carry two Neif.  A Neif is approximately eight inches tall, so you can think roughly the size of a Barbie/GI Joe.  Initially I wanted a cardinal, because they are my favorite birds, but a cardinal is far too small for the task I would give her.  So, I pulled out my trusty Field Guide to the Birds of North America (mine is an old library copy, circa mid eighties), which is awesome.  If you have even a mild interest in the animals living outside your house, I recommend getting some sort of bird guide.  Anyway, I looked for a bird that lived in the correct area that was large enough to carry the weight, and I found a quite beautiful and formidable bird.

Meet the American Swallow-tailed Kite.
Sunnys Wildlife Sounds
They are approximately 23" long from head to tail, and have a four foot wingspan.  They are raptors that will snatch insects in the air or come down feet-first on small reptiles and birds.  They will often eat their prey while in flight, and will also skim the surface of bodies of water to drink in flight (don't try that at home).  They rarely ever flap their wings to fly, mostly just turning their tails to help them soar on streams of air.  They nest in the tops of tall trees and can often be found in wetlands or in woodlands with access to bodies of water.  Standing on the ground looking up at them in flight, they look like a smaller white bird with a larger dark shadow behind it.
Stiver Photos
Very striking.  Also, they are only in the area of my story in spring and summer for breeding season, which keeps me from having to choose a season in which to set my story.

That's the only animal that really has anything specific to do with my story, but there are all kinds of other animals in the swamp lands.  It would feel wrong to talk about a swamp without mentioning the American alligator, or any of the number of turtles, fish, snakes, lizards, frogs, or salamanders that are prevalent in that habitat.  There are lots of mammals:  bears, raccoons, cougars, otters, foxes, rats, skunks, and the invasive nutria.  And there are hundreds of different insects.  As you might guess, with an entire village made of sugar, they are the biggest problem.  Archer has a few words for us on that.

The animal and insect life, while the most interactive, really only play a small part in the story.  The plant life in a swamp is what the Neif use as building materials, supplemented with whatever garbage they find washed into the swamp.  Swamps are typically waterlogged, and only specialized plants can grow there that need little to no air around their roots.  Cypress and Tupelo-gum are the most common trees.  Spanish moss grows in the trees, and most of the smaller plants that grow on the ground (in the water) are emergent reeds and lilies.

It wouldn't be near as much fun to say straight out in-world what everything is.  That would make it way too obvious!   While plants will be referred to by their general names, the animals will be referred to by terms the Neif have given them.  If you decide to read this story, be on the lookout for these incognito beasts, and see if you can decipher their true identities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Ways Wonder Woman Was Actually An Anime

Clickbait title?  Riding the coattails of a hugely successful franchise? Yeah. So, Wonder Woman has been insanely successful.  It had some cool stuff going on but was not my favorite movie.  I had several problems with it, mostly happening after Diana leaves Themyscira.  But I'm going to put most of them aside to talk about why Wonder Woman was actually an anime, despite being live action, full of white people, and made by 'Merica. Anime style poster used to promote the Wonder Woman movie in Chinese Flickering Myth YEAH. I'm working on the assumption that you've seen anime before in a quantity sufficient to familiarize yourself with its tropes, so I'm not going to go into detail about why these are tropes and how long they've been around.  Also going to assume you've seen Wonder Woman and not going to worry about whether I'm spoiling anything for you. Blessed From Birth From birth Diana is special.  She's the only child on her island

Non-Traditional Plot Structure

Happy Friday friends!  This post is about plot:  what we traditionally think of as plot, and what other options exist in the world. For starters, let's define the difference between plot and narrative structure.  Plot is (loosely) the events that happen in the story.  Narrative structure is the order readers experience the story events.  Ingrid Sundberg does a good job of differentiating the two here .  (May as well open that up in a new tab and leave it open, I'm going to be referencing her blog a lot today.   She's pretty much already done what I wanted to do with this post. ) If your public education was like mine, you were probably introduced to a figure similar to this somewhere in your English classes: Fritz Freiheit This is the standard plot that we can fit most stories into.  This describes a plot centered around conflict that follows a traditional three-act structure.  It's very popular.   In the Middle reviews a book that discusses using this structu

February Post

Give me a break, I hate coming up with titles. And the FCC spoke and said, 'Verily, I say unto thee, Verizon and their ilk shall not throttle the bandwidth of those they despise, nor shall they profit from the favoring of entities with greater bandwidth therein.' And there was great rejoicing.  And by great rejoicing, I mean that the internet blew up arguing about what color a dress was.  You go, America, exercise that freedom. Girls and boys, it's the last Friday in February and I haven't posted anything this month, so here goes. I'm so glad I didn't try to keep posting weekly, because school owns my life nowadays.  I approve of the once-a-month plan so far.  We'll see if I can do more posts during my summer break (i.e. the month of May). As you might have guessed, I have not done any editing on Om Nom Nombies.   I haven't written anything more on the first drafts of The Neif  or Spitfire.   I haven't even made any progress beta-ing a manusc